Thursday, June 3, 2010

Pickles in the Future

The love of my life knows me all too well. He came home yesterday with baskets of new plants for us. He bought himself more herbs to plant in containers, since I'm not interested in herbs, I leave them to him. He bought Sage, Rosemary, Oregano, Basil, and the oddity named Pineapple Sage, which does smell really sweet. As well, he bought me high yielding Pickling Cucumbers... Three to be exact. As an extra special treat he bought me a rose bush, a Gerber Daisy, and a Cala Lilly! There they are, pictured below! So pretty in person!

I planted the Cucumbers outside on little hills next to the Long English Cucumber I bought Sunday at the flea market, where I also bought a little Roma Tomato plant. Since I am more interested in results then in the art of gardening this year, I consider this a good practice.

With all the rain we have been getting lately (between 15-30 mm a day), the weeds have really been taking over, and the plants are exploding in growth! The corn I replanted have started to shoot up, and the lettuce looks big enough to eat soon! Very exciting. The big things that need to be done at the moment are staking the peas, buying netting to protect the harvests, and planting my third rows of lettuce, carrots, and spinach. All for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment