Thursday, January 8, 2015

A Fitful Night...

After having a frustrating week dealing with car repairs, and receiving a letter with detailing how we are going to be financially screwed for the next year, it was topped when Sisko started having seizures yesterday.

I spent a lovely afternoon with my bestie, having coffee, browsing the craft store, and selecting teas to try before my birthday.  I was able to drop off my rental car and pick up my VW since there was apparently nothing wrong with it.  That's a story in itself, but who cares.  The car is fixed. 

When I arrived home, I let the dogs out of the bedroom, but Sisko did not greet me.  I had to call his name before he came out of his bed.  Not thinking anything of it, I sat on the couch and waited for hubby to get home.  Sisko sat at my feet and just started up at me for a long time.  I invited him up on the couch, but he wouldn't make the jump.  I picked him up and cuddled him close. 

Within moments, I felt him shaking beside me.  He was sitting, but his legs and back muscles were jerking in place.  He had a dazed look and couldn't focus on me.  On cue, hubby walked in the door.  I called him over and he dropped his papers and with one look, deemed Sisko needed a vet. 

His shaking did subside within a minute, and since money is slim, we decided to wait to take him to our vet tomorrow instead of paying extra for an emergency vet.  That plan was quickly thrown out when he had several more, smaller fits over the evening.  As well, I had let the boys out for their bedtime pee, and Sisko decided to fixate on the chicken pen, so I bent down to put my hand on his chest to move him away, but the mere touch of my hand made him yelp. 

So, off the the emergency vet we go.

The vet's opinion is its either epilepsy, poison, or a brain tumor.  I approved blood work and took home a few days worth of medication for epilepsy.  Once I get the blood work back, I will be continuing care at our regular vet.

This morning, Sisko seems to be feeling better, just tired and mopey.  No serious shaking, just a bit of head bobbing.  The concerning thing at this moment is he has yelp twice when I touched him and he won't jump up or take his paws off the ground.  Very odd behavior.

So that's my story.  I'm pretty tired and am eager for the call from the vet.

Hope everyone else is having a better day!  Its still a new year, plenty of time for things to change!


  1. No one has gotten a good start on the new year yet, so here's to better days ahead.

    If there is anything you need at all, let me know