Thursday, April 10, 2014

Ready, Set, Garden!!


Hubby built me a raised garden bed!  It measures 4 ft by 20 ft, so its a fair size bigger than my last vegetable garden.  We spent the weekend filling it with compost and soil.  It took 3 truckloads and a lot of sweat to get all that dirt in the garden, but it was worth it!  The soil is so dark and pretty!



Yesterday there was a break in the clouds so I got out there and planted.  I planted lettuce, corn, spinach, snap pea and shelling peas, onions, green onions, 2 types of carrots, radishes, cucumbers, and pumpkins!  I'm excited to see how everything turns out.  I'm pretty sure I got the quantities wrong for a lot of the vegetables, but oh well.  It was an exciting morning for me.

Can you read it?  Sugar peas :)

I made some odd decisions.  I really wanted corn this year and I forgot I chose an open pollinated variety.  My original plan was to plant a row of corn in the back, so it wouldn't shade out the others, but that can't be done with an OP variety.  So I made a rash decision and planted 4 rows of corn through the lettuce and peas.  The peas can grow up the corn (hopefully) and the lettuce will get shade from the corn.  I really hope this works out....

Hopefully there won't be too many weeds to deal with considering this is fresh soil.  I hate weeds. My flower garden has been infected with morning glories.... again.  I hate those plants.  Every time I see one, it sends me into a rage.

Look at those nasty Morning Glories next to my flowers!



And just for funsies, here is my lovely plow/cultivator we got at the flea market a few weeks ago:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment