Monday, March 15, 2010

Book Review

I finished "How to Build Animal Housing..." by Carol Ekarius last week. It was a really good reference that dug deep into the nuts and bolts, so to speak, of how to go about building different style of buildings such as pole barns, lean-to's, and portable shelters, to name but a few.

The book covers everything from pouring concrete to shingling roofs. It covers the best way to finish off buildings and gave many drawing on features you can add, such as brooders for pigs, calves, and foals, and even a milking stand for goats. It stressed safety on every page and really emphasized the importance of planning.

Unfortunately, it is an American publication, so all the regulations are not Canadian, but still the thought is there. As well, I found the drawings and the more technical portions were difficult to understand at times, but my Mr. Selinger had no problem translating them to me.

Overall, I found the book to be valuable and will definitely purchase it, but I wouldn't consider my collection lacking if I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment